Monday, April 25, 2011

Epiphany!

I just had a brain revolution.

I was asking people about this at work the other day. I feel like music just keeps on getting (by and large) worse and worse. Or rather, more similar and more similar. I could stand the (what I call) "radio hip hop" a year or two ago, but now it all just sounds the same. Even one of my favorite artists, Eminem, is using the same formula for his songs and songs that he cameos. Yell-rap to the same beat and then an evocative and beautifully shrilling voice sings the chorus (most likely female).

I was perusing youtube when I came across this video of Nirvana interviews. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cc7VYCPXn8&feature=related

Kurt says, "In the late 70s, it's like major record labels were singing punk bands by just shortly after, like most punk bands first gigs. You know, punk bands would start, play their first gig, you know and they would be signed to a major label right away, you know. just because it's a trend right now. and that just proves that their are a lot of old school dinosaurs in the record industry still that need to be weeded out."

But is that true? In marketing 101 you learn that it is the business managers' entire job to cater to the consumer. What the consumer wants, the consumer gets. This is called consumer-based marketing. While many companies will not go by this ideal, in the perfect world, this is what we would have. An series of diverse industries that are catered to our specific needs- not their greedy money goals.

So is it in fact at the fault of the "dinosaurs in the record industry" that there was a search for the "next Nirvana" in the 90's? I don't know. I don't think so. That's what the people were demanding. Audiences LOVED Nirvana like no other band had been loved for decades. So those old dinosaurs wanted to find another hit just like them- for us, and of course... mostly for the money.

So when you have these imperfect ideals battling with each other within the industries of bureaucracy and red tape that "cater" to us. It is up to the ARTIST to create amazing, new boundary-breaking music. It is up to every creative to create things that scare the hell out of their managers. It's when you start using the same formula that things get stale. And my oh my things are getting stale around here, folks.

Have the boundaries been broken lately? Maybe we've fallen into a lull. A creative gravestone. That next movement is probably just under my nose. We just haven't detected it yet. Or maybe it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment