Sunday, June 19, 2011

The moral flexibility of a 20-something

We all dive into this lifestyle head first. work hard. party hard and often. Everyone condones this behavior with the secured knowledge that one day it will come to an end. At that point, whenever it comes, you will be a maturing adult. It seems as though with this so cliche college lifestyle (or maybe just richmond lifestyle) comes a moral flexibility. We all jump on the roller-coaster for the ups and downs of experimentation. We fuck up and we learn. Wash and repeat. Over the past year or so of living in Richmond I've encountered too many liars and cheaters to count. Does being a 20 something also require you to test yourself and others in this way? Will people who cheat and lie in their 20s one day say o.k... I've grown up now. I guess to some cheating and lying may be just the same as experimenting with drugs and drinking maybe just a little too often... This time is like a rumspringa for us all. I'd like to have my rumspringa minus the dishonesty and infidelity. But hey, maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment